08 January

My Private Octogon Ocean

At 21 below zero I was better prepared for the extreme cold and had a warm kiln day! The metal work is going to have to wait until it is at least a balmy 10 above or even zero degrees. It is just way to miserable wearing my respirator and fogging my eye protection with my own breath or having my nose run inside of my welding helmet.

The bisque load I so patiently waited for turned out beautiful. Whew! My New Year’s goal of seeking “Nature’s patience” paid off. I was so tempted to lift the lid of the kiln early and take a peek, but I forced myself back into the studio to make some more fish and clay Shine-a-rellas that are now on the drying racks. The pictures are of the clay sea scape tiles with some of my Nature elements in the background. When I got to the last shelf, the fish looked like my private octagon ocean. The rough scriffito technique on the fish pair was my first attempt. I love the look but the sound and feeling of the marking through the glaze is uncomfortable for me to feel and hear…not sure what I’m going to do about that. One of the first pieces I formed was “Tired Old Moon.” I’m not sure how I am going to finish him but I’m so glad he survived the firing. There are several test tiles that I want to experiment with before I decide how to finish Mr. Moon.

2 comments:

Linda Starr said...

What a beautiful ocean you have indeed, love the fish and tiles. Don't envy you the 21 below though. We actually had sun today and it got above 50 and I had been complaining about the 45 F previously.

cindy shake said...

Thank you Linda :o) It was only 5 below today...hopefully the warming trend is supposed to start tomorrow. We've been watching the weather satellite and this enormous ridge of high pressure. Interior Alaska is much worse. I had a bunch of steel I had to cut today and froze but couldn't put off working any longer.