WHEW! The kiln load of sgraffito fired beautifully. The underglaze colors really popped –I was happily surprised, especially with the red and yellow. Very fun and vivid. I know I shouldn’t be so doubtful, but I’m one impatient artist, especially for EVERY phase of working in clay. The hardest part is waiting for the kiln to properly cool before I pop the top. Which I did, I actually waited until my controller said it was below 150 degrees –I think that’s a waiting record for me. On several of the sgraffito trays I used highly textured borders that I may or may not have attached very well –but it turns out I did attach them well and when I slab rolled the clay, I may or may not have wedged it properly or long enough –but it turns out I did. No explosions or breakage yet… Up next is my most UNfavorite part –glazing –arrrggh. I’m using a Amaco Clear Matte ^04 which unfortunately needs to be brushed on as I don’t have enough for dipping –dipping seems like my kind of glazing!
Oh well. The goal of trying the higher fire clays and glazes will be buying bulk glaze and putting it in DIPABLE 5 gallon buckets. Keeping with the mood of patience my mantra will be; “I will apply three coats as the instructions recommend, I will apply three coats, I will apply three coats, AND LET EACH COAT DRY BEFORE THE NEXT COAT IS APPLIED… O o ohhhmmm!