29 August

Rained On But Not Out


Selling the last container of Honey we had in our booth was good timing as it was my last Spenard Farmers Market yesterday and it ended with a downpour! Fortunately, this was the rainiest Saturday afternoon we've had all Summer, with all of the other Saturdays being much more moderate weather-wise. The Market had a special visit from the Bird Treatment and Learning Center which allowed me to get some new Raven images to use in my art making -yaaay! My last Mama "Steel Wool" which was my artist sample, went home with some dear friends and I was able to sell lots of other Garden Art I had put on sale in celebration of my last Market day. Customers LOVE sales. I heard from Vicki up at the Bad Girls of the North booth and customers are also loving buying metal art at the State Fair! I've got to make more Garden Ravens first thing Monday morning and plan for another delivery up to the Fair as soon as possible because of the short selling opportunity that lasts only through Sept. 6.
After I deliver the birds I may just have to treat myself to one or two of those tamales next door the the Bad Girls booth -(h)mmmmm. While I enjoyed (LOVED!) the summer $ales of the Market every Saturday it was a HUGE commitment of my production time, my personal time and my brain-space. It was a tough juggle all summer and I also needed the help of Daddy-O
and Will every week to help me with set-up and take down. Trying to keep up with making enough inventory for the Market meant I wasn't able to keep the Galleries in enough art inventory. Trying to keep appearances constant, which is HUGE to help build customer loyalty by attending every Market Saturday meant I didn't get one day of fishing in or spend nearly as much time in Girdwood as my creative self needs for rejuvenation. One of the best parts of committing to the Market each Saturday was being able to meet my customers face-to-face, hear their feedback on my art and feel more in touch with what customers were saying. Another positive was that Derek and I developed several new friendships with other vendors and ate really well all summer by quadrupling our vegetable and fresh seafood intake!



5 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Oh how wonderful to see one of the raven's up close, I was at a lavender festival in California and the bird rehabilitators were there and I thought it was the greatest thing for public education. I just loved seeing the birds up close especially the raptors. So glad the farmer's market is working out for you, but more rain, yikes well you have a great attitude about it. Nice to know you need to make more work too. the fresh produce looks so good.

Tracey Broome said...

I gave up on the Farmers Market here by July when the temps hit 100 every weekend. I sort of miss it, yesterday was the last one for the summer. Maybe next year will be a cooler summer!

ang design said...

well done on the last market and a drench out we've been really lucky this winter... so back to your regular exhibition work then!!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

whoa, raven almost looks friendly!

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Sounds like market-time has been a great experience, but also very time-consuming. You give a behind-the-scene glimpse at what it takes to make that happen every weekend! Maybe time for a little R&R?