After a crazy weather week it was best to just go with the flow. School was closed Tuesday and Wednesday due to an ice storm and the Thanksgiving break was Thursday through today, throwing any normal schedule out the window. With the roads nearly impassible last week in Anchorage, I scaled back all of my errands and cut my production schedule. When school canceled due to the wicked weather, the best part was having Daddy-O and Gus home and Kristen (that’s a picture of
her and I picking up our favorite beverages!) and her beau arrived Wednesday morning. I love the feeling when you get to have a "snow day!" What fun to play hooky without any real consequences. We spent much of the break in Girdwood where we saw over a foot of snow in 24 hours –just in time for last Wednesday’s opening day of skiing –the photo of the lift line is skiers waiting for the Mountain to open on Friday and Derek couldn’t resist carving it up.
Today, we were supposed to install “Bicycle Bloom,” my public art sculpture, but had to reschedule for next week due to a failed turbine on the lift. Thankfully, I was notified last night there may be a problem with this morning’s install and called everyone who wanted to be in attendance that we needed to cancel. With this piece of equipment still giving my contractor trouble we collectively decided to just wait until it’s able to be repaired and hopefully the sculpture can be installed next weekend. The sandblasting left the sculpture a silver/gray, raw steel finish and with our ice-rain storm while the sculpture
is waiting on the flatbed outdoors the work will have even more time to weather and develop the patina I want. Also on the bright side, the cancelled install meant I could spend the last day of the holiday week with the kids and happened to watch a beautiful sunset and clearing skies. Sometimes it’s just best to go with the flow!