15 January

Squishy Fishy's


One of the most interesting catalogs I receive is from a company called Acorn Naturalists. I don’t remember how I first came across it years ago but I’ve since shared it with many people including artists, teachers and parents. It’s really unique and full of all things “for the trail and classroom.” Last year I ordered some Fish Replicas with the intention of using them in my clay work –which I never got around to doing. Then I decided to make fish prints, and ordered their Gyotaku kit, which gave me some more fish replicas and inks but I never did put together my “fish printing-BBQ-margarita-artist-party” this summer because it was so rainy.

Finally, this week I used the collection, my tub of screen printing supplies, the Gyotaku kit AND the fish replicas for some fabric work! I tried using the Speedball Inks first, then acrylic paints, Daler Roney FW inks and finally some very cool Jacquard Screen printing Inks. I’d like to blame this latest burst of inspiration on Judy but I had been thinking

of those squishy rubber replicas and how cool they’d look printed on an art quilt. Judy always has the most vivid images of not only her incredible work but the art supplies she uses! I CANNOT R-E-S-I-S-T ART SUPPLIES. Judy mentioned using the Daler Roney FW Inks and I found that my local (and favorite) art supply store, Blaines, had them in stock! So guess what, while Gus was at Tae Kwon Do, Mama went shopping. I’m still experimenting and not sure if I’ll make some smaller art quilts

or what, but it was fun to finally play with those rubber fish and get my hands and fabric all inky!

6 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

I love these fish. I did this art project one year at summer camp and the kids loved doing it. I bet this would be cool to use underglazes and print these on clay. hmm.....
like that last image!

cookingwithgas said...

those are funky and fun- love the color combos!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

your work in the bottom pic = ADORABLE!

Linda Starr said...

I love fabrics and those are Florida colors you're using, such a cool fish fabric, I've got to check out that catalog, squishy fish, how wonderful. Will these fabrics be in your next pattern?

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Ohhhhhhh, how much fun is that!!!! I love playing with new art supplies. Your blog is sometimes way too enticing. I'm addicted to art supplies. More is always good! Your fish printing in the last pic is awesome.

ang design said...

noice!!