05 May

The Dream Box


A bunch of us independent artists try and get together every few weeks to have coffee. We chat, grinch, share info about upcoming shows, new projects, galleries to stay away from or support. We call it Art Coffee and it is a good reason for us to crawl out of the loneliness of our studios to get some face time with our peeps. At Art Coffee a couple of months ago, my friend and ATC artist, Diane gave me one of her original Artist Trading Cards as a thank you for inviting her to join our coffee group. Diane met some new artist friends and enjoyed being included. I like to try and add a new artist friend to each coffee to help grow new relationships.

On Saturday, I attended the 2nd annual Transformed Treasures Auction & Luncheon at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel. The event is a fundraiser for local Salvation Army programs. The idea of the event is to have local artists and craftspeople transform one-of-a-kind items found in local Salvation Army thrift stores into treasures. The luncheon attendees bid on the "transformed" items through silent and live auction. There were easily over a hundred items valued from $15 to a (re)hand crafted, game room, card playing table with 4 chairs set that went for $5,000! An old leather skirt was transformed into a journal cover, old sweaters were transformed into a hat and mitten sets, purses and felted wool art. Lamps were given hip, new shades with hand-
painted designs and otherwise tossed out everyday objects became incredible found objects of art.

My next door neighbor Mary and I went together and we each met another group of friends at the event. My other friends and Mary already had tickets and I was fortunate to be able to purchase one of the remaining 10 walk-in tickets because the event was sold out. The entire ballroom of the Sheraton was filled. In the silent auction sections, Mary was the successful bidder on a large, "transformed" wall mirror and an assemblage piece titled "Dream Box." The piece was originally a jewelry box that was made artful and had little messages and items in each of the 5 drawers labeled, D, R, E, A and M. There was a message about the Celtic God of Dreams called Angus Mac Og in one drawer, lampwork beads in another drawer and in the top drawer was an Artist Trading Card. The card was similar to the card my friend Diane had given me a couple of months 
ago! When Mary had returned from paying for her items I helped her carry the Dream Box and mirror to our car and shared with her what I'd found in the Box while she was paying for her items. When I told her about having a similar Trading Card to the one in the top drawer, she said "you aren't going to believe this -but I bought this Dream Box for you for all that you do for me!!" I said "no way, you bought this for me, how thoughtful!!" After discovering the card, Mary said it must have been meant to be! When we got home we compared the two cards and looked on the bottom of the Dream Box -guess who the artist was that made and donated the box to the Transformed Treasures event...... it was Diane!


10 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

how very cool- enjoy.
M

Dolores said...

Well then, it certainly "was meant to be." Sounds like it was a wonderful day and I hope loads of money was raised.

Orion Designs said...

How in the world could I have missed this event? Am I living in a cocoon? Sounds like great fun.
V

cindy shake said...

Hi Meredith -thank you for reading :o)

Yes, Dolores, I think for an event to be only in it's second year and to be sold out is pretty amazing! Everyone attending was so inspired, you could hear conversations of what people wanted to make next year!

Hi Vicki! This was only the 2nd year and a friend told me about how much fun it was last year. There was a great article in last Sunday's ADN Arts section highlighting some of the items made. If you'd like to be put on the list for next year send me an e-mail and I'll get you all the info for the volunteer coordinator. The first 25(?) artists to apply, receive $50 in Salvation Army Thrift Store coupons to use for your "before" transformation purchase! They also like the artists to include before and after images -which they play in a multi-media show throughout the luncheon.

ang design said...

trippy!..but a great read.... and what an excellent event, thats inspirational I like it..

Linda Starr said...

What a great fun raiser and a fun event, and an what an amazing story about your gift from Mary made by Diane, a true treasure.

Christine--RHP said...

Oh, I love stories like that!! very cool!

cindy shake said...

Hi Ang- That's what I thought too! I didn't know Diane had participated in the event. I put both cards together in the Dream Box.

Hi Linda-
I loved the latest photos you posted on your Blog -The visitors in your Garden, they were beautiful.

Hi Christine. Thanks for the post. Your new vase is LOVELY! I need to get back to clay- I've been spending too much time on metal...

Linda Starr said...

Hi Cindy, my irrigation water lateral broke and (160 pounds of pressure) spewed water everywhere, I am trying to leave for SF and now I can't get my email to work - hence the msg here, I received your package yesterday and sent yours yesterday. Thanks so much will email you when I get back next week. Sorry.

cindy shake said...

hi Linda- No worries! Holy cow, you have your hands full! I read you are attending the class in S.F. -I'm jealous :o) be safe & most of all have fun -you deserve it!