15 June

What Day Is This?



During the summer, time is a blur. With school out, it's difficult for me to keep track of what day of the week it is! Girlfriends and I went garage sale-ing and then to the Farmer's Market in South Anchorage on Saturday. It was the first time I'd been to this Farmer's Market. It was small, only about 18 booths, but it is where all of the quality flowers, veggies and fresh fish have moved. Most of the vendors used to be at the huge Saturday (and now Sunday too) Market downtown near our Anchorage house, but due to a lot of tourism and parking related reasons, I think, the farmers, flowers and veggies have moved south. I thought of Linda when I saw the boothselling Blue Poppies. I'd send her some, but the Blue Poppy needs cool weather -however with her green thumb she could probably make them grow on her property in sunny CA! I couldn't resist buying the fresh salad greens AND a FRESH whole Sockeye Salmon AND over a pound of Shrimp. Guess what we threw on the new "Barbie?"

Losing track of time usually happens when you're too busy or having too much fun. It's always too, too of something for me. I am having fun making a lot of art right now, but I know I'm also a bit too busy making all of this art. It's tough to slow down because when the demand is high, you need to take advantage of the potential sales to help make ends meet during the way too slow times. After my grand day out with the girls, I wrapped up my Garden Fair sculptures on Sunday. I'm happy I've got the 3 pieces made for the Alaska Botanical Garden Fair Show, they are a large Sandhill Crane (that's him in the photo at the top before he got his patina and red enamel paint details on his head), the
 Garden Mermaid and a lovely Garden Chime that features several steel tree branches with a birds nest welded among them. The hubby (he's the volunteer muscle) and I will be meeting the artists in the Garden on Thursday to set up the Show and site their pieces. Having all the artists together with their new work, in such a beautiful setting is one of my favorite times of the Show. So is having (a lot of) nice, cold beverages at the Gala party while patrons are BUYING the art!


Being around all of the fresh flowers and veggies this weekend had me camera happy with our own flowers and trees that are in full color around the house. I like to take quick digital images of everything in the summer to use as reference during the long, cold winters. Oh! Look what I scored on (the internet classified that shall not be na
med) List! Buckets of glaze! It was a bit of a drama to pick it all up because the seller was out on Ft. richardson Air Force Base, but my sweet guys were super patient, drove me out there and we made it all work -and all of these buckets for $30. The seller just wanted them gone, but I offered to give her $30. Pretty good deal huh?! The only problem is I have no idea what ^cone temp it all is!?! I know, silly me, that's a ceramic 101 kind of thing, but the seller didn't know because the buckets were given to her "by a friend who 
made pottery on a wheel" and was transfered and left it behind. The price was right because I'm so out of glaze and I figured with all this time on my hands, how long can it take to make a zillion test tiles and fire a gajillion glaze test loads?!

6 comments:

Linda Starr said...

wow, you are so lucky to be near so many art events and farmer's markets and all, thanks for thinking of me with the poppy. I am afraid I have so much to take care of here I don't need another plant, but I appreciate your thinking of me. Wow, can't wait to see what glazes you got - what a great find. Love the sandhill crane and the chimes. When Gary and I were first married we lived in the Sierra Nevada Mtns and during migration the cranes would fly overhead way, way up in the sky - I think they fly a mile high. I could hear them coming before I saw them.

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

You're rich in glaze! And it's already mixed! How fun is THAT!!! Bummer that you don't know cone. I predict lots of discoveries in your future. And with all your spare time (ha!) you can just relax and enjoy the process. Boy, don't we wish we could expand time to do everything we want to do? I find myself needing to make choices... My choice is to try and do it ALL!

Julia said...

A woman after my own heart - I love the garage sales, the farmer's markets, and scoring a sweet deal on some treasure that someone doesn't realize is as cool as it is! BTW, absolutely amazing pieces pictured with this post!

cindy shake said...

Yes Linda, we are lucky to be so close to so many things to do. I think most people don't realize how rich (and large) of a city Anchorage is. I really would send you a Poppy but after reading their FAQ, it's too hot and the wrong zone for them where you are :o(

I didn't even think about the already mixed part Patricia, but you're right! I'm just thrilled about the volume, because I have been only using the commercial quart sizes until I finalize my glaze palette, which meant I couldn't really "dip" and glazing has been a real CHORE -arrrgh.

I don't have much time to treasure hunt as I'd like :o) but Saturday was really fun and the new Farmers Market was so wonderful. The hubby wants to come next week. Thank you for the post!

ang design said...

how long can it take??? well....... i suggest testing them all at the temp. you work 1st..then you know if they run of its too hot and if they're all dry they're prob..stoneware.. but really you could get them all tested in 3 kiln loads earthenware, mid fire and stoneware.. all the best with the testing and label everything......

cindy shake said...

Hi Ang- that's kind of what I was thinking... I was going to fire them first at ^05 and at ^6. She had of used all the same cone temps I'd think. And she was throwing on a wheel. All of the buckets have names that are descriptive "Blue Monday," "Paprika," "Satin White," "Galaxy," Antique Iron," "Calico" etc. they sound cool huh?! I think it will be fun. The bummer will be, if I love one of them there is only a limited amount! So I will be careful not to fall in love with any of them.