02 July

From Portland to Alaska With Love


Hard to believe there aren’t any sparks in my shop with 4th of July here! I actually unplugged this week –well if you don’t count the electric griddle and Encaustic pan that Katie had set up for us to do some art making! Wow, what fun mixing it up a bit this week with creating. I’ve needed to get re-inspired to work on a couple of new sculptures and had to take a breather from my heavy production

schedule. I felt the burn-out flame wisps nipping at my butt… not good. So, when I went over to Katie’s for a little chick visit she was heavily into an Encaustic series for a Show she has opening tonight at her Studio for First Friday. I’d never done Encaustic’s before and after a quick primer I dove right in and made a couple of pieces. It’s much harder than it looks but I’ve always loved and admired the medium. For my birthday last year, Daddy-O bought me a large, Sheary Clough Suiter Encaustic work that the whole family loves. After painting with encaustics at Katie’s, I do look at Sheary’s work with additional appreciation now! Here is a link where Sheary gives a good demonstration of the medium and process.

OK, the BIG NEWS is on Wednesday I got to fly down to Portlan

d (and back that night) to pick up the newest member of our family! Meet “Nimbus” the 6 year old, male, Giant Schnauzer. For the last year or so we had been waiting on the placement list with Valley of the Sun Giant Schnauzer Rescue looking for another Giant -and a couple of weeks ago I got the call! “Nimbus” comes to us from a very loving couple in Oregon who faced with a serious illness, had to make the most difficult decision to re-home him. We are grateful to all of the loving and dedicated volunteers who make rescue, placement and adoption possible! “Nimbus” is adjusting better than we could have hoped for and seems to enjoy the “wilds” of Anchorage so far. At just over 100 pounds he makes our “Tauzer” seem even more petite but they are bonding and she has no problem showing him the great outdoors of Alaska. While the dogs and I continue to adjust, our Holiday plans include being at our booth at the Spenard Farmers Market tomorrow from 10-3, then Daddy-O and Gus are going to get some fishing in at a friends lodge. Have a safe and happy 4th of July!



8 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

Sooooo cute!!!
I would love to try some encaustic with ceramics. I took a workshop with Adrian Arleo and she uses wax on some of her pieces. So does Cristina Cordova. I think it would be fun to try some on my barns!

Linda Starr said...

contrats on your new family member, love the encaustic paintings, the free flowing vibrancy of them. I was first exposed to this technique at a local art show not long ago in my old town and have wanted to try encaustic ever since; reading what Tracey has said about it being done on clay is even more intriguing; I must try it out; Happy Fourth.

ang design said...

there's your r&r a new pup for the household...enjoy the break. word ver...colan!!

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

If I had five lives I'd be using one to do encaustics for sure! It's so cool. So much art, so little time!... Hey, your new pup is a gem. Sure makes for a happening household, doesn't it?! We found that adding a second standard poodle was not like 2x the action. More like tripled. But, it's all fun.

Linda Starr said...

Came back for a second look, now that I have puter minutes again. After reading the demo of how encaustic is done; I think I'll have to stick with clay for now, too much equipment and my cats would be a danger to the whole process for themselves and for me and the painting; love the texture though and the vibrant colors.

Anonymous said...

always love encaustic... and nimbus, i guess since he's adopted that that was already his name. kinda close to dingus

Anonymous said...

He is beautiful! What fun and congratulations.

Judy Shreve said...

Congrats on the new member of the family -- I'm sure he is one lucky dog to have found you guys!

I have always been intrigued with encaustic work. Wish I had the room in my studio to try it. I'll have to look for a class. I love your pieces.