01 September

Art That's Easy on the Eyes


From my graphic design days I have an extensive library of stock images that I’ve kept and used over the years. Many of the images are on CD and are fun to sort through and use them now in my fiber art or metal work. I recently used the Artville Pop Life CD which contains over 50 images designed by Paul Gilligan whose bold illustrations were “inspired by Roy Lichtenstein and the 60’s comic book artists who inspired him.” One of the creative things I miss from working in advertising is writing headlines. By adding creative copywriting to some of my art making I can get  still my advertising “fix” now and then! My latest small art quilt is called “Art That’s Easy on the Eyes” and is about 17” x 17” using iron-on transfers, button embellishments and free motion sewing. My first transfer that I made I forgot that I needed to “flop” any text on the digital file so it will read correctly once transferred –DOH! I ended up just cutting of the backwards text and will use the guy’s head on another project. In trying to find a link for Artville, which produced great stock images, has since been bought out by Getty Images.

My artist friends Laura Walter and Wendy Gingell created pieces for the Art With Books Show at the Z.J. Loussac Library. I’m taking Gus to the library tonight for the opening and to vote on our favorite pieces.  “Local artists create artwork in which a key component is books as part of the 25th anniversary celebration of Z.J. Loussac Public Library. If you are in Anchorage, come to the reception on level 3, enjoy lemonade and cookies, vote for your favorite piece for the People's Choice Award and check out the amazing pieces created specifically for this exhibit. Don't miss this event which includes some very special suprises! The exhibit will remain up until the end of September.”



3 comments:

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

LOVE IT! What fun!

Tracey Broome said...

These are great pieces. It's making me want to dust off my old sewing machine! I have always wanted to make a quilt just never have had the time. Hey, are you ok? Heard about the earthquake over there!!!

cindy shake said...

thanks girls!

No worries here from the quake which I just read on CNN! -it's really far away. Alaska is HUGE and the epicenter was down on the chain which thankfully isn't too populated -hope those folks are OK though because of the coastal villages etc.