15 December

Art Cloth Fun


After purchasing some beautiful 100% cotton Batik fabric from the Quilted Raven, I was inspired to make some 12" x 12" Art Cloth. I've had several requests from loyal customers for Art Cloth panels that they could sew into small art quilts, pillows and wall hangings. What an opportunity for me to fling some paint around the studio! I made a mess, cutting out custom foam shapes, altering my rubber stamp collection and trying various acrylic paints, fabric paint, Jacquard inks, FW Acrylic Artists Inks. After painting, printing and stamping in layers, I heat set all of the cloth. The pieces where I used high intensity glitter paints, I think, turned out the best. I'm working on the custom hang tags now and the panels will be available at the Quilted Raven!


I need to get the studio cleaned up and add an extra table for Kristen's sewing machine. She's coming home tomorrow for the Holiday break and my studio is going to look like Santa's workshop because we're going to be knee deep in team ART MAKING!
One place I forgot to clean up yesterday was the bathroom near my studio where Daddy-O found my large, rubber halibut and other fish molds floating and soaking in the sink when he went to shave this morning! Thankfully he's used to life with an artist!






5 comments:

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Beautiful! Cracked me up about the fish molds floating in the sink... I could relate. My guy is always tripping over my artwork-in-process!

cookingwithgas said...

these are so much fun! I wish i could come over and bring my sewing machine- you girls are going to have so much fun!

Tracey Broome said...

I just sent you an email about a sewing machine, then I got mine out, dusted it off and realized I have a much better machine than what's out there right now. I think I have a sewing blog coming on.....

Linda Starr said...

I found my fabric stash this summer and have been playing around with textured and filmy fabrics, but loving your bright colors there. Winter is the perfect time for sewing. What are you doing with your fish molds?

cindy shake said...

thanks girls! Linda the fish molds were the rubber/silicone ones from Acorn Naturalists that I used to print onto the fabric. I was soaking them in warm soapy water to get the acrylic paint out of the details but had forgot about them in the sink -ha! yeah, stick with your solid machine Tracey -it's a keeper, especially with a little tune-up and oiling.